Friday, August 19, 2005

Working Across the River

he looked me
straight
in the eye
when he said it,

this sad kid
half my age

expecting a response--
shock, maybe?
disgust?

"i haven't eaten
in three days,"
he said,
"because i've been
working
across the river
but no one is
picking me up."

i didn't bat an eye,
because that's how
we're trained
to listen

"are you safe, at least?,"
i asked

and he showed me pocketsfull
of condoms
that could block
at least some
diseases

though not the one
we both knew he had
most deeply

when he refused
to drop
his sad green eyes

and then we both had
nothing to say
other than me
breaking the tableau:

"i'll unlock the cupboard,
so you can have something to eat."

and he nodded,
but didn't smile.

2 comments:

Quitmoanez said...

Moving. Ugh...

J C said...

Keep 'em coming, please. Good Reads.