Thursday, January 19, 2006

My Sign

This boy full of blond
carved from a whale’s breast.

Was Jesus carved from a fish?
Did Jesus crawl out of the sea?

This boy
carved out of a goat’s horn,
bent against the breeze,
a bone jutting from the earth
at the edge of the river.

A pail of brown water
where this boy soaks his face and hands,
as they flake away
into the rushes.

The flood
washes out cities and towns.
A barn, half submerged, floats
across the prairie deluge.
This boy
rooted to the earth
is given back to the sea.

6 comments:

TheBlueMask said...

That`s deep.
(partially intended pun)
Was the boy really given, or taken back to the sea?

J C said...

Epic work. conjures up a lot of visuals for me. excellent, excellent, excellent!

Quitmoanez said...

Carved from a whale's breast!

So money!

I'd like to see more; do you write every day?

XP said...

Actually, this is the first new poem I've done in a while. Not sure why, but I've just gone through a huge slump.

Quitmoanez said...

Well I hope the slump is over, 'cause the more poetry the better.

_Q_ said...

Video Games killed the poetry star!