Friday, August 29, 2008

Traumedy

2:15 pm, Partly cloudy with a high of 25 degrees. The grass hung ominously like scythes. 2:17 pm, A teenage boy decides to experiment with taking a life. The frog soars above the jagged rocks. Meanwhile in Frogland... 2:15 pm A frog prays: Dear God, I have been a good frog, and lived a long happy frog life, and for that I am grateful. Content with what I've been given, I've never asked for anything for myself. This one time, here on this rock, I am stuck, an old immobile frog. If the universe could be arranged to allow it, please let me jump again, one last time, like I used to. When I was young I could jump as high as the clouds. Amen. 2:17 pm

8 comments:

D. Sky Onosson said...

When I was in grade three, our class was very fortunate to get to visit a printing studio. We made up a story, one of those ones where you all sit in a circle and take turns continuing from the person beside you. Then we all drew out our pages and ended up with a printed book! I still have my copy.

Our story was called "The Indigestible Frog". It was about a frog who escaped from being eaten by a shark. Some of the girls wrote about him putting on his swimsuit, and taking a walk in the woods.

My page read: "Then a spaceship landed and the martians ate him."

Somehow, he still got to be called the Indigestible Frog.

D. Sky Onosson said...

You know what, my memory is failing me. My page read: "Then the spaceship landed and martians used him as a specimen from Earth." The NEXT kid's page (also a boy) read: "Then they ate him up."

cara said...

Awesome!!!! (sorry i know this constitutes yelling, but i'm italian so we yell when we like stuff).

this is awesome: i love the story and the prints (d. macri did you make these?)

sky, what a great memory.
you should post your page...

Anonymous said...

I did make them, THANKS!!

(also Italian)

Quitmoanez said...

Wicked, poor little guy.

Lorne Roberts said...

nice work D.

i guess the frog sort of got to go out in a final blaze of glory, at least.

Anonymous said...

yes, his little green prayer was answered.

Anonymous said...

sweeet