Sunday, April 08, 2007

Making Art


Well, I've certainly had better studios than this one, but It's not the space that makes the studio it's the production. I have gone through a bit of a dry spell for painting, but now am feeling quite eager. Can I turn this little corner of my Korean apartment into a creative whirlwind? I really hope so. It's not the chaotic begining that some people start with (see below) but there is everything needed to make great art, minus of course, a willing artist. If I can manage to get out of my slump I will post the development here on ALFA. Any suggestions on subject mater for painting or encouraging words are welcome. On a side-note, I looked at visual-art-kid-geniuses today (prodigies) and felt kinda inspired. There is that one autistic dude who draws entire skylines after a glance (Stephen Wiltshire) and a Picasso painting from when he was 8 y.o. There was also a funny quote from Mozart who said 'I write music like how a sow pisses'. Aside from the vulgar, irreverent arrogance of this statement, I was made to imagine if it came that easily, that naturally. I think if I were to make a similar metaphor I'd have to say I make art like how an old dog pisses in the winter time, shaking painfully with a leg awkwardly jutting into the air and, self consciously scanning the surroundings for an angry master, and more often than not, getting some on myself.

5 comments:

D.Macri said...

And, I did some research about new blogger and our previous features, finally we have a counter and ads again (not sure how the ads work though).

Should I start our counter at a higher # and change the start date, or just begin again as it is now?

Anonymous said...

I think you should just keep it as is.

That painting on your eisle is very interesting. Sometimes when I look at my paintings and your paintings I feel like they are so familiar to each other.

Is that a tree sillouette and a sunset? The lines

Our landscapes, our techniques, yours and mine, mine and yours, seperate yet inseperable. Not aboput ownership, but about brothership. xo

I would never have been the the painter I am today without meeting you mr.macri. I hope you feel the same.

(your sunsets and skies are really magnificent)

Too sentimental?

Anonymous said...

Too sentimental... never. I see our paintnership as a big part in my development too. I think we learned a lot by being in such close proximity. Honestly it's not the same painting without a Knackerson around. I'm glad you're getting settled in, I look forward to seeing your new stuff (ie: art/home/cool attitude =). I think my lapse in production is partly me feeling the need to re-invent. Of course there will be that inescapable similarity that ties everything we do together. It's like handwriting, you can tell whos it is no matter what word they write. Still doesn't hurt to learn some new words. Either way you saying that you want to paint from things that have a special meaning to you (from email), I think is key. I want to do some manitoba work, and I was also thinking pictures of friends and family could be cool. Aww, jeez, here I go asking for references again. I guess I could steal alot off this site for portraits (any objections?). I dunno really, the windows sounds fun too.

TheBlueMask said...

You`re a very clean painter. I have to factor in a good half hour of restoration of my surroundings after a session. How about a UFO in the skyline?
Dig those wacky Korean outlets!

Quitmoanez said...

Thanks for the counter, I missed it.