Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Tubes, drains, papers, and pills

This is more than words
or four chords

it is not a rock song

it is not a dream

it is not a whisper
but an endless chatter

a hissing
of needles
smoke
and air

So tell me

is it
blood, sweat, tears
shit
or water

is it
tubes, drains, papers
pills
or blankets

that brought you here?

No

it is a machine beeping
clock ticking
heels sticking
to the floor
as you try to walk faster

it is more
than me
or you
or him

it is not beautiful

9 comments:

Lorne Roberts said...

wow.

that's all i can say.

Anonymous said...

I can understand why you'd write this
And it is great the way it is.
Inspiring even.
But since you asked, I'll answer
and my answer is this:

It IS more than words or chords
It is not ONLY a song, not ONLY a dream
But among the whispers, the chatter and hiss
Within the fluids and the flesh
the plastic, paper and cloth
between each beep, tick and click
amidst the urgency you feel
and the time and meaning implied
there is a silent holy moment
that simply doesn't measure
what is you or me or him.

I think this balance is the beauty.

Krahn said...

F--ing right Nits. Thats a great poem.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the positive words. Just had a bad day at the hospital today.

Anonymous said...

yes-sah. I'm a sucker for those sounds..beeping,ticking..sticking...

noise. not beautiful, but it sure sooooothes me. tickitty tickitty

Krahn, don't make me bring the soap over to Home street you potty mouth.

Hurray for Nits though.pickitty pickitty.

cara said...

great poem!

I like the balance and the speed of this.

Anonymous said...

Ya, very nice, makes me want to have a bad day (but not really)

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful, even in it's monstrosity.

TheBlueMask said...

My kind of dark, I luvs it