Thursday, July 12, 2007

Folk Fest Musing

This Bacchanalia has begun again
scantly clad satyrs and nymphs
dance and make love
the music of celebration is everywhere
wine and whiskey flow like water
drums pound out mystic rhythm
the whole night long.

In the morning the sun blasts through
an endless prairie sky is painted with wispy cirrus
hemmed in by scrubby trees in lush green leaf
Orpheus's song is carried on the wind
his lyre inspiring all these beautiful people
to just be together here
now under the powerful midsummer's sun.

The tan and toned, the buxom and blubbery
babies, ancients, all races and creeds
in a magic city that appears on the plain
like a mirage that shimmers and pulses
only to disappear after four short days
a ghost station whose signal is audible
just long enough to make you believe again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, you've convinced me. I have to go to folk fest at least one time.

Quitmoanez said...

LOL, indeed.

cara said...

You paint a wild and beautiful picture.

My experience this year was more bucolic than bacchanalian, though both have merit. But I did miss the drums this year...the quiet campground was pretty quiet.

Lorne Roberts said...

My experience was also rather bucolic. I took the bus home 3 out of 4 nights. Sigh... getting old.

Highlights: Grant playing w/ Corb Lund, Spearhead, Cat Empire, Sara Dugas in a workshop w/ Crooked Still and Cat Empire, Los Lobos on Sunday aft.

I spent most of the fest alone, mostly by choice. I got lots of sun and didn't wear shoes.

Ryan K said...

In years past I have taken the lone wolf route, but this year I kept running into people and hanging. Here's a picture of an ALFAnian I met in the beer tent.

I too was blown away by the Los Lobos workshop on Sunday. I also dug the Balkan Beat Box at the same stage (on Saturday?) and the Bella Fleck workshop with a pair of African dudes. I don't know what that instrument is called that the one guy was playing; it's like African vibes or something, but I really love the way it sounds, especially live. As for local heros Romi and friends were amazing, and Nathan played a great show in the kids tent (I also loved the Hummers set in the campground.) Kudos too to our own Knick Knackerson for another fine labyrinth.

Lorne Roberts said...

heh. no doubt.

and yes, romi was amazing on the main stage, as was bella fleck.