Monday, July 30, 2007

FolkFest Musing #2


Do all these meetings at the Festival
add up to anything?
When you see a person
over and over again
and it is the person
you have been thinking about
is it just your silent wish
that brings them near?
I have not been following
the keeper of my affection
yet I have found her every day
in some new corner.
On the first day
I dared not speak to her,
there is something mysterious
and powerful about her
that makes me shy away
even as I am profoundly attracted.
On the second day
at a workshop stage
one of her friends flitted by my view
and returned to sit by her
in a very obvious way
drawing my eyes;
I was almost thinking it was intentional
but how could so beautiful a creature
be sending such signals to me?
On the third day
I sat across the table from her
in the backstage beer tent,
there were some people I knew
but also didn't really know
sitting between us;
I did my best to be gregarious
although it's not really in my nature.
On the last day
I wandered through the Handmade Village
looking for gifts,
all of a sudden she was right beside me
buying herself a brilliant green belt-buckle
to match the colour of her incredibly sexy eyes;
I made small talk but could not say
what was burning through my mind,
and when I turned around for a moment
to collect myself
she disappeared.
Will I see her again in the city,
or am I just the victim
of a cruel trick played by Pan?

9 comments:

D. Sky Onosson said...

You know what's really strange? When I view this post in google reader, I get a smirking image of Pan holding his flute up, but on the Alfa page it's different image of Pan seeming to encourage someone else to play the flute, arm around their shoulder.

Bizareness of the internet...

Quitmoanez said...

Cruel trick I say, such events are a divine standard.

:)

Ryan K said...

Nothing too bizarre Skybird. I had originally posted this poem with a different image. Google Reader must have cached that first post and not noticed when the changed I picuture.

D. Sky Onosson said...

I guess you're right, greader has now updated to the current picture. But I liked your first choice, it felt more personal!

cara said...

I think you'll see her again, sounds to me like you are orbiting each other. I for one am superstitious enough to believe that chance meetings are intentional.

Cruel trick? more likely a divine nudge.

Lorne Roberts said...

the universe doesn't care whether or not we fall in love, i feel.

but i wish you a happy and prosperous happy mate-seeking anyway.

:)

cara said...

ya, falling in love is totally the devil's work.
;)


While I might agree that falling in love per se, is not necessarily on the divine agenda. I've come to see it as a very intense opportunity to learn to love, and to learn the pattern of loving others with compassion and contentment, which can then transcend interactions with our world. Granted there are opportunities all around us that we can learn from (certainly not only from falling in love), but this one is particulary beautiful.

(um, I'm trying to be less negative these days, so I realize you might feel like you want to hurl after reading that, I totally understand).

Lorne Roberts said...

ha. no, i agree.

Anonymous said...

I love you all.