Sunday, July 22, 2007

Show Review (AlfA post #2871)


(pic is of Righteous Ike at the Label-- April 2005... not last night's show).

So,

last night I was privvy to a swell musical event.

I was planning to stay in and go to sleep early.

Then I remembered the Righteous Ike was playing at Times.

I quickly jumped on my falling-apart $400 brand new bike, and pedalled down in the 11 pm heat, with the chain falling off four times on the way over.

Saw the Skybird Band, featuring our very own Sky on guitar vocals. yowsers. a drummer (alf) who keeps relentless, energetic beats, without much in the way of flourishes or rolls--just a straightforward, intuitive metronomic sound. A lovely bassist (catherine, i think) who is so good you almost forget she's there sometimes. and our man sky fronting the show. lively, but never overpowering. subtle background music that, as soon as you stop to listen (dylan-like) blows you away both musically and lyrically. country, raggae, pop. i was very impressed.

then... after an appropriate, dramatic break.... he takes the stage. Righteuous Ike, the living legend. A weird, swaggering sexuality. Brilliant guitar work, understated vocals (poet Patrick Friesen, in his book St. Mary at Main, wrote of Ike "always playing a half-note beneath what he feels", and it's so true). Two amazing musicians w/ him (Carmichael and Scoles), and the end result is brilliance.

Ike told me recently that he's called "righteous" b/c a waitress at the Blue Note/Fat Angel called him that, since, during his shows, he used to tell people not to swear so much, and to love each other and be good and kind. These days he doesn't say that anymore, or talk much at all on stage, his music still more or less says the same thing.

in short, a groovy beat you can dance to. i give it 4.25/5. heehee...

the end. :)

8 comments:

D. Sky Onosson said...

Lorne, thanks for the nice words. I may use that in my bio, should I ever put such a thing together!

I didn't know the story behind Ike's nickname. I did once think of calling my band 'People are Idiots' and Ike told me I couldn't do that, it was too negative... so I guess he still feels the same way.

TheBlueMask said...

Can I use that name then?

TheBlueMask said...

Can I use that name then?

TheBlueMask said...

sorry about the echo again...

D. Sky Onosson said...

OK, but you have to add a disclaimer to it: except Sky

;)

Lorne Roberts said...

ah, no worries. use away. i'll give ya more, too, if ya want 'em. :)

Anonymous said...

More words on music wolfie, keep it up, but more detail and less reinforcement if you know what I mean, like a weird, swaggering sexuality, that's cool, he must've been wearing his spandex pants.

Lorne Roberts said...

Let me make a late correction:

Ike actually told my freind Moe that story about his name more than he told me, really.

I was just eavesdropping on their conversation. :)