Sunday, December 10, 2006

Met a 4

I met a 4 on my way
and stopped to say
"I wonder what you could be

Doing out here,
amongst the mere
sombre remains of this day?"

The numeral
fingered his pearls
and thought the question through

He said, "My friend
let me append
my thoughts, and then to you.

I've just returned
and recently learned
the news that all must hear

And frankly, sir
beneath this fur
I have quite open ears."

With that he turned,
and left me burned,
and burning with this thought

If, when a 4
comes by your door,
is it better known, or not?

5 comments:

Quitmoanez said...

Great poem!

Quitmoanez said...

I like how it ties up the threads of our recent thoughts.

:)

TheBlueMask said...

nice ending...ba-dum-dum-TSH!

D. Sky Onosson said...

Actually, that's where I thought I flaked out... ran out of steam, I guess.

cara said...

I really like the middle stanza...about numerals fingering pearls.