Friday, December 01, 2006

Prison Art



Check out this great story about prisoners making art and what they need to do to get their supplies.

From the article ... M&M's. Kool-Aid. Human hair. Coffee. Lime juice. These are some of the materials prisoners across the United States have used to create artworks now on display at Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts.

"My accessibility to art supplies is extremely limited," Anthony Throop, an inmate at the California Correctional Institution in Tehachapi, wrote to explain his coffee on paper work. "As a painter this frustrated me, so I grew my hair for five months to make paint brushes."

View the pieces in the art show or bid on a piece here

3 comments:

CaptainGoldStar said...

that's hardcore.

Quitmoanez said...

No shite.

J C said...

I didn't see much art out of odd stuff.

What I did see when I went to this site was a lot of fantasy art, lots of work about inprisonment and injustice. I guess it's art you'd expect from inmates.
I wonder if they have/need an art mentor/prof. let's handout some BFA's!

would it make a difference. to generalize and hypothesize, I'd say considerably. look what komar and melamid did for elephants.