Saturday, January 13, 2007

Stories/Archives/history

In a sense we read the world as a text, and, logically, such readings are infinite. By which I do not mean that we just make up stories about the world/the past (that is, that we know the world/the past and then make up stories about them) but rather the claim is a much stronger one; that the world/the past comes to us always already as stories and that we cannot get out of those stories (narratives) to check if they correspond to the real world/past, because these 'always already' narratives constitute 'reality'....Different sociologists and historians interpret the same phenomenon differently through discourses that are always on the move, that are always being de-composed and re-composed; are always positioned and positioning, and which thus need constant self-examination as discourses by those who use them.

Keith Jenkins (1991) from Rethinking History. (p. 9)

10 comments:

cara said...

bluemasks fantastic archival posts reminded me of a quote I liked in a book I'm reading right now called
"Rethinking History" by Keith Jenkins.

I guess it's not art per se but a response to it.

D. Sky Onosson said...

There's a great book on much this same topic called The Myth of Continents: A Critique of Metageography, by Martin W. Lewis and Karen E. Wigen. As the subtitle indicates, the topic is metageography, or "the set of spatial structures through which people order their knowledge of the world ... a thorough examination of these frameworks is long overdue."

The last point in that quote coincides nicely with the last portion of the reference in your post

cara said...

That book is on my "to read" list.
I'm really interested in all things meta these days.

D. Sky Onosson said...

In that case, I also recommend Metapatterns by Tyler Volk. I mentioned that in a previous post sometime back, it's a very insightful look at the universe.

Lorne Roberts said...

cara! you must read my almost-finished book. it's about as meta as they come.

TheBlueMask said...

time passes through life, while life passes through time.

cara said...

wolfboy, I'd be honoured and excited.
When can you get me a copy?

I was thinking about that Metapattern book too, I remember it from posts past.
I'm handing in my thesis (two copies plus the sheet that says they own my academic work) so the day after tomorrow I begin my meta journey.

D. Sky Onosson said...

I would love to turn my thesis into a metathesis... but then, I'd probably never get started on it!

Anonymous said...

Get started on it! It already is a meta-thesis.

:)

D. Sky Onosson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.