Monday, October 22, 2007

The 'f' word

What is the origin of the 'f' word? [Warning: contains language which may be considered offensive.]
In other words, what is the origin of the word fuck? Originally, this was a quite acceptable word! It was recorded in a dictionary in 1598 (John Florio's A Worlde of Wordes, London: Arnold Hatfield for Edw. Blount). It is remotely derived from the Latin futuere and Old German ficken/fucken meaning 'to strike or penetrate', which had the slang meaning 'to copulate'. Eric Partridge, a famous etymologist, said that the German word was related to the Latin words for "pugilist," "puncture," and "prick." The word, which entered English in the late 15th century, became rarer in print in the 18th century when it came to be regarded as vulgar. It was even banned from the Oxford English Dictionary. In 1960, Grove Press (in the US) won a court case permitting it to print the word legally for the first time in centuries -- in D.H. Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's Lover (written in 1928). One folk etymology, which is incorrect, is that it derives from "[booked] for unlawful carnal knowledge."

8 comments:

renamaphone said...

It was recently pointed out to me that in every society curse words represent what they most fear. With anglo-saxons it's sex (fuck), with french-canadians it's the church (ostille), in latin societies it's the mother, and so on. It's kind of strange and funny, especially in the anglo context, when "fuck me" is actually said in anger, straight-faced and all. That sounds kinda celebratory, don't you think? I mean, you could easily have a great day and just shout "fuck me!" in happiness.

Quitmoanez said...

F-ck me!

Lorne Roberts said...

i read this post, and the comments, out loud to my friend.

we both laughed.

Anonymous said...

If what Renamaphone said was entirely true, it would mean Korean paople are scared of puppies. =P

Gey-Sek-ee = dog baby

Anonymous said...

I had heard that it was an acronym. Fornication under crown knowlege. It had to do with a king on his honeymoon

renamaphone said...

Does the house linguist have anything to say about this?

Anonymous said...

I personally use the statement "fuck me" for purposes other than anger. Don't judge me.

Anita said...

Actually, i take that back, dont care if theres judgement for my favorite use of "fuck". I'm sure I'm not the only one.