Sunday, October 14, 2007

On seeing Horn at the Times Changed

Chicken wire night

bar too crowded to move

danny dangerboy and i sit on the floor in front while
half empty beers whiz by over our heads and
crash into the wire,
spray young K with beer

getting it in his eyes
while he sings

with a good natured and
self-effacing swagger
as if mick and keith met in one body
wearing the suit of the emperor leo atridies--
all rugged
and old-soul pretty

and "heart within a stone"
makes my ears bleed,

quietest song of the night.


If i don't live for all that much longer, it says
then maybe i'll get to see ya soon.

You might have lived forever
if you hadn't died trying

guess there's really nothing
left to do

or say

except that i'm weird
and weak
and I do and say the wrong things,
make bad choices on a regular basis,
drink too much beer (sometimes),
foget what makes me
who i am--

but at least,
i think,
as beer cans whiz by above my head,
i know
i've picked the right friends.

7 comments:

cara said...

Kerouacesque.
Reminds me of chapter 4 of "On the Road" for some odd reason.

"It was a sawdust saloon with a small bandstand on which the fellows huddled with their hats on, blowing over people's heads, a crazy place;...women stood against the wall drinking wine-spodiodi and spitting at the stars--wine and whiskey."


wish I had been there.
:)

renamaphone said...

reminds me of my friend k- the one with the suit, the smile, and the troubadour spirit that's all soul, no bullshit.

I wish I could have been there, but I take solace in knowing exactly what he was wearing, boots too.

Lorne Roberts said...

all soul, no bullshit.

that could be our new creed and motto.

Anonymous said...

You could probably change bad choices to poor choices if you don't mind me say'in.

Lorne Roberts said...

heh. i had thought about that as i was posting it.

that's a cool kerouac quote. he always wrote the best descriptions of bars and music scenes.

Krahn said...

and I say 'a thank'ee

Anonymous said...

thankee sai