Sunday, February 17, 2008

"But Is It Art"?


The eternal question again...

This image was created by Michael Field:

"All of my art work is based on ideas rooted in dynamical systems, chaotic dynamics and invariant measures (part of my field of research). I developed all the software, algorithms and coloring used for these images. I also built the computers used to generate the images and printed these inages myself. My interest primarily lies in the ways in which one can achieve certain desired artistic effects using a "mathematical palette" (as opposed to using images toilluminate the mathematics)."

More art here from the Joint Mathematics Meeting held in San Diego last month...

3 comments:

cara said...

wow!

I find it interesting that it is called Mathematical art as opposed to just Art.

I say it's art.I found the descriptions of the mathematical principles and research stunning, and also very much like an artist statement.

An amazing array of mediums too.
Not to mention I feel totally humbled and like I should have really paid more attention in math class.

Anonymous said...

Of course it's art, it's math art!

Lorne Roberts said...

it looks a lot like quilting.

which is also art.