Saturday, March 15, 2008

Be at One with the bike-stealer

Last Wednesday on my way to work at 8:15 a.m. I innocently parked my bike outside the 7-11 at Arlington and Ellice went into the store, turned my back for a few seconds and .... I probably don’t need to finish that sentence, bike theft is so rampant in this town that almost everyone who’s had the pleasure of owning a bike has also had the unpleasant experience of having one stolen.

I have nearly a dozen stolen bikes stolen in my life time, some from inside locked garages others that were chained up outside with a cable or a u-lock, this latest loss is the first one to be stolen for not having been secured in some way. Do I feel like a dolt for leaving my bike unguarded for a minute and a half on a Wednesday morning in the sometimes mean part of town I call home? Yes. Does it frustrate the hell out of me that some immoral punk stole my mode of transportation just so he could get from A to B a bit faster? Absolutely. But this time around I’m more philosophical about the whole affair. Perhaps there is some greater reason why my luck turned so sour for that brief instant last week when I made the fatal mistake of stopping for a lousy 7-11 sandwich because I hadn’t the groceries to make one at home.

By design I stopped buying expensive looking bikes after I lost a very nice Kona mountain-bike in record time (I think I had it for about four months) to someone who had mastered the art of cracking open a u-lock with a Bic pen. For my next bike I invested in a custom built one-speed on an older ten-speed frame thinking that it would be a great commuter bike and also less valuable to any potential bike-stealer. It’s certainly not the style of bike that yields much of a return at the pawn shop or on Craig’s List. However, one morning two springs ago I woke up to the unpleasant reality that any bike—regardless of the fact that it is chained up to an iron railing, regardless of the fact that it is loved the same way as a rider on the range loves his faithful horse—is considered fair game by the petty crooks of this fair city.

Much as I had grown to love that simple bike—the way it suited my riding style; its funky, modernist graphics; the speed we could achieve together when a sharp gust blew up behind us—I now had to live with the fact that someone who owned a pair of bolt-cutters decided he needed it more than I did. Losing that bike really hurt. It shook my faith in my city and destroyed my sense of security. And it made me so angry. I ogled every red bike that passed me for about a year always hoping that I would see someone riding it past a place where I had access to a large rock that I might use to smash in his head.

This time though I’m determined not to dwell on my misfortune. Despite the fact that I loved that bike like I loved that last one and have zero insurance to replace it with, my revenge fantasies are softened by the inner calm that comes with acceptance. In truth I care about my bike far more than anything else I own, but living in a neighborhood where constant vigilance is a primary directive is my choice, and having crimes perpetrated against me here in my ‘hood is simply a statistical matter of fate. It seems useless to take it too personally. I hate being ripped off as much as the next man, but in the end stuff is just stuff and it can, and will always be, replaced with more stuff.

No amount of grief or desire for justice will change the fact that my pretty blue one-speed, with the manufacturer’s cute inscription “WORLD’S FINEST BICYCLE BY SEKINE” affixed to the frame, has been rustled by some cowardly bike-stealer. I don’t hate this city and I don’t hate the dirty rat who stole my most prized possession without a whiff of conscience. As I am thoroughly aware of by now, bikes come and go and rotten stuff happens to good people all the time. There is nothing to be done but to try and find myself another bike to love. Nevertheless, if I happen to see someone riding that particular one-speed down the road, and there’s a big rock near by....

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Strangely enough, I am riding a bike that has been in the family for about 20 years. I think it is just ugly enough to do the trick (as long as it's locked). We bought 2 of them, and guess what happened to the other one =P (it was stolen despite it's ugliness).

TheBlueMask said...

Not taking it pesonally is fine, but the danger lies within complacency. Acceptance of this act only allows growth. It's true that hate,anger and revenge will serve no purpose. At the same time, if we all just shrug our shoulders when we've been done wrong...where's the detterrent? I don't know how to approach it now that I think about it....

Denis said...

If you love somthing as much as you say, then you take the steps necessary to prevent its loss. This is true not only of pocessions, but also of relationships. The question you should be asking is what is it that makes you leave your bikes vulnerable, lock-less, out in the cold....

Anonymous said...

Sometimes no matter what precautions you take, these things will happen. I can relate to this tragic story and empathise. I have a great supercycle frame you can have. It will need new forks and wheels which you can get at the Bike Dump for free. It's also a beautiful single speed. Or maybe it's a piece of junk that got replaced sooner than stolen. In any case, you can have it if you want. It was too big for me anyway...;)

Anonymous said...

You always put the lock through the wheel and the frame..but im sure you all knew that.

Anonymous said...

One time buddy stole my bike and left his cruddy bike.

I rode that cruddy bike for 3 months. It's rusty green, 12 year old girl's 10 speed.

I left it locked up in front of the salvation army in st B for the winter if anyone needs it.

cara said...

i had my bike stolen this summer from my locked garage.
I spent the rest of the summer seeing bikes that I thought looked like mine everywhere.

anyhow, sorry about your bike.

Lorne Roberts said...

yeah, bunk.

i fell madly in love with a bike this summer. it was my horse, my friend, etc. i cared for it deeply, and invested time and money in it (her?).

anyway, someone stole it from the HALLWAY of my building. ergo, probably someone who KNEW ME! of course, my own dumb fault for forgetting it outside my door, but i was really choked that i lived in a building with 16 suites, and knew who everyone in the building was... and one of them (probably) stole my bike.

insurance got me the money back, but it was still bunksville.

Ryan K said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ryan K said...

Thanks for your sympathies and criticisms. In my defense Denis I am fairly vigilant about locking my bike--almost paranoid really. Having had so many stolen is not an indication of disregard, rather it has been a matter of luck that is rotten and locks that are not good enough to prevent people from stealing bikes that mostly weren't valuable to anyone but me (as I mentioned this is the first time an unsecured bike has been stolen). Like love, even the people/bikes we cherish the most can abandon us, no amount of locks can prevent us from having our hearts broken from time to time. You can't lock-up love my friend, every relationship needs trust, and even the trust that seems strongest can be broken. Life is just like that.

That's also why a complacent (although I wouldn't refer to it that way) attitude seems appropriate given the circumstances. I've given the cops my report knowing that there are far more serious crimes that will dominate their attention; and if I ever see someone riding that bike I will likely kick the living s*** out of them no questions asked. But given my experience any chance of justice is more or less a fantasy.

Thanks for your offer Mimi, perhaps I'll take you up on it (though I have no idea who you are, or do I?) I'm gonna go to the police auction first though 'cause I kind of have my heart set on another Sekine.

Lorne Roberts said...

hi mimi!

you rule!

Denis said...

I was in no way suggesting that you can lock-up love, or that bikes with locks don't get stolen. I was meerly suggesting an internal reflection on the importance of bikes in our lives, and to ponder what steps we are willing to take to keep said bikes (and loved ones) near to us. Personally, I prefer to walk.