Saturday, March 22, 2008

Book Re-write, chapter 1

Scene 1

Open in the rain, the darkness separating from the light, and Adam is splashing down the street yelling into a cell phone that Feral's alive, Feral's alive, Feral's alive... We're in the street of some big city, any big city will do, since they all look the same. Let's say it's Vancouver.
In the rain like this, nightrain, cityrain, the cars all seem to dissolve into the pavement, the pedestrians seem to move with the raindrops and puddles, the very traffic itself is water and blurry light, orange and glowing and blue. Mystic, and holy. Because, as Feral will tell us soon enough, everything is holy... but maybe it wasn't even him who said that, since he was known to be a bit of a bullshitter at times, and anyway, you don't even know who Feral is yet, do you? Or Adam, either. Let's start with that, then.
So, who was Feral, and why was he alive? And why wouldn't he have been alive? Was he supposed to have been dead at one time?
And right away that makes this whole thing preposterous.
I mean, how can you take a story seriously, how can you even believe in any of it at all, when ridiculous things are happening like the dead coming back to life? Because there is only one fact that we would all agree is for certain, both in life and in this story, and that fact is that once you're dead, you're dead, right?

And there's no coming back from that, right?

Right?

So I will attempt to tell you this story, as best as I remember it, though it's been so long now.
And what kind of way is that to begin, telling you right off the bat that maybe I'm not even getting all of the facts straight anymore--that maybe I've forgotten things, or added things, or confused them with some other stories I heard once?

Sigh... Sigh... I'm old now. I've forgotten things. You must allow the old certain luxuries, and this is one of them. We must be allowed to forget, all of us, or else we'd go crazy.

So I don't know. I don't know. I'm sure of that much. But here's the start of this story, or the end of it, I guess, and Adam is splashing down the street yelling into a cell phone that Feral's alive, Feral's alive, Feral's alive...

Nightrain, beauty of space on concrete and silence, everything blurs and becomes one.

Adam has put his phone away and is carrying his shoes, and the rain lets up just a little but the world holds its febrile glowing glow,
taxi turns through puddle,

Adam flags it down, gets in. The door closes with a thud.


End scene one.

8 comments:

Quitmoanez said...

I like it.

I also liked the other versions as well.

TheBlueMask said...

Wolfie's alive, Wolfie's alive!
What is this? I like it. I can hear and smell the settting.

Anonymous said...

Cool. Lingering on that one beginning moment is interesting, it makes me think of that guy who wrote enduring love where it's like he takes 200 pages to describe 5 minutes. Shit, what's that authors name? Ewan? hmmm, it'll come to me... Lots of ideas in these few paragraphs, some of which demand ellaboration which I suppose you'll get to in the next scene...

renamaphone said...

Ian McEwan.

Lorne. More. Please. I barely licked my lips, and then it was over.

words are cool.

Lorne Roberts said...

haha! if you want more, it will be available soon at finer bookstores everwhere.

maybe.

anyway, for bluemask, this is my novel about tree planting that i've been writing for as long as you've known me. (this is the one that was getting all the rejection notices recently...)

and for the second time, it's almost finished.

and then we'll see...

cara said...

really good.

I want more too, I just barely settled down in my chair when you pulled the plug.
The narrator has our attention.

this sort of reminds me of Adso (the narrator in the name of the rose). the way you twist the truth or at least threaten us with it is intriguing.

new word of the week:
dipthong

words are cool.

TheBlueMask said...

How are you presenting it to the publishers? I have no idea what the process is for a novel. Do you give them snippets? Or do you give a whole promo-pack with art/photos?

Lorne Roberts said...

it differs from one to the next, but generally they want a CV, a cover letter explaining why they should care about your book, a detailed (3-5 pages) outline of the story, and a 50-page sample.