Friday, July 04, 2008

Another song...

This is a song I wrote a while ago and then re-wrote recently. However, I can't for the life of me remember what the chords are. It's supposed to be the same sort of lonesome sound as the previous song.



This Suicide is Alright

This suicide is alright.
I’m all alone so I unplug the phone.
Tonight is the night,
I pack all my bags with the clothes that I like the best.

This suicide is alright.
I walked it through; I know just what to do.
I’m not afraid to die.
I wrote all my letters and I tied up all my loose ends.

Don’t let them say that I was a mess,
no one hurt me too bad,
it’s just blood that I bled.
Now there are answers that I want to know.
Is there a God and how far will he go,
to save a soul that never loved him at all?
How ‘bout my friends,
to see their faces again?
And tell them I know, I should have told them before…
You only get one chance, and then it’s gone for good.

This suicide is alright.
It’s not a sin if your heart is all in it.
Won’t you cry when I’m gone?
It’s just another line on this road that I walk.

This suicide is alright.
I’m all on my own and I’ve unplugged the phone.
Tonight I just might.
I packed all my bags with the clothes that I like the best.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like how this piece illustrates how selfish suicide can be. The narrator is obviously sick. The devastation that suicide causes to family and friends is horrible and tragic.

Suicide is a sickness of the mind.

'This suicide is alright' is a powerful line, but it doesn't justify the act, it's as though blinded by self pity a person believes that it will only affect themselves, meanwhile, it sends a ripple of pain and sadness through everyone the victim knows.

Got any happy songs? :)

XP said...

I really liked your comments James. I re-read them several times, as well as the song, taking it in.
For me this song had a lot to do with tremendous loss and how it re-shapes your world, your beliefs and your view of your own place in it. I won't go into too much detail, because I really enjoyed experiencing your interpretation of it.
Sorry for all the downers though. Sometimes you don't really choose what your mind comes up with. I'm sure I have some lighter stuff in here somewhere! ;)

XP said...

After re-reading your comments and these songs I see there is definitely a correlation between the two songs. I haven't put my finger on it exactly, but it's there.

Anonymous said...

This would make a great heavy metal song.

Anonymous said...

JC, the things you say about suicide are no doubt true, suicide is tragic and horrible. For me, the words that you used convey a certain amount of disgust for the subject that I may have interpreted wrongly. However if I didn't, I wouldn't blame you for having those views. It is certainly a very personal subject.

That being said, Dan may have meant something more symbolic when he used the word "suicide". Many people, although they never go through with it, still think about it from time to time, and I think that they should have the freedom to express that.

Anonymous said...

Example, song by cat power:

anyone can tell you there's no more road to ride
everyone will tell you there's no place to hide
there's no laws or rules to enchain your life

but the ones who didn't make it,
the ones who couldn't take it,
so glad they made it out alive

everyone loves the fun
everyone comes by

in the wind I crunch, I want to die

they can give me pills
or let me drink my fill
the heart wants to explode
far away where nobody knows

do you believe she said that?
do you believe she said that?

I said I hate myself and I want to die.

half of it is innocent
the other half is wise
the whole damn thing makes no sense
I wish I could tell you a lie
hey, come here
let me whisper in your ear

I hate myself and I want to die.

do you believe she said that?
can you believe she repeated that?
I said, I hate me myself
and I said

I hate myself and I want to die


Woooohhh, so dark!

Lorne Roberts said...

i think kurt cobain said those exact words in a song once too: i hate myself and want to die.

Anonymous said...

It's true he does have a song called that, although i think its a b-side as I was a big fan of Nirvana in my angsty teenage years (no embarassment here) and never knew that song.

Cat Power's song is much more beautiful, in a dark morbid sort of way. I think she used to be an alcoholic.

Anonymous said...

Actually, if you haven't already heard it you should listen to Cat Power's cd "The Greatest" where she plays with the guitarist from Al Green's band. Theres a few really nice songs on there.