Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Planting '08





So, partly by choice, and partly out of financial necessity, I got to (was forced?) to re-live a part of my life I thought I had left behind forever-- tree planting.

And I will make no bones about the fact that I enjoyed it immensely. The communal nature of it, the interesting people, the intense hard work, the weeks on end without being indoors... all of it.

Almost all my pics were taken after the work-day back in camp, so the actual work itself isn't really represented here. I'm waiting for Stu, who has lots of pics and video from the clear-cuts, to send me some stuff. When he does, I'll post 'em, and you can get a sense of the actual labour, which is a whole other ball of wax. Much dirtier.

Sorry if the semi-nudity offends anyone... but people do have bums. :)

If you wanna see more pics, I posted 60 of 'em on my facebook page.

3 comments:

Lorne Roberts said...

in order:

Lindsay.

Graeme (one of my fave subjects-- I have a zillion pics of him).

Party night.

Wolfboy.

D. Sky Onosson said...

You know, I have known a lot of people over the years who have gone treeplanting, but I never have. I've got the feeling that I would enjoy it, or at least not hate it, and yet it seems really doubtful that I will ever do it. It's interesting when you realize that about something: I wouldn't mind taking part in it, but I know I never will.

Lorne Roberts said...

totally.

douglas coupland wrote once that, you reach a certain point in your life where you realize that you're never going to be a rock star, or not even a dentist.

(of course, in our case here, some of us ARE rock stars, and some of us ARE dentists, but you get the point).