Thursday, July 10, 2008

National Parcs--Walk the Walk




So, this week, I'm writing a piece about a show of music videos at the contemporary gallery.

This video is by National Parcs, a band that's starting to become a big deal out here. Their work, which they have referred to as "audiovisual", is about more than just the music. It sort of combines the music and video and the creative process itself--which, as you see here, becomes part of the finished product. (that's my take on it anyway, not theirs necessarily).

I met one of them-- Ian, the guy in the dark hoody and baseball cap. Terribly nice guy.

Interesting too, that their videos seemed to be shot on the smallest budget of any in the show, but were the most interesting, creative, and original, i thought.

6 comments:

D.Macri said...

very cool

Anonymous said...

yes, very nice. These guys played the 'jazz' fest here in winnipeg. I read about them in uptown the day after their show and was cursing for weeks. I love the idea of taking nature's sound effects and manipulating them, there's no doubt about that. I was taking to a friend about this and saying that it might be possible that by not seeing them, my imagination somehow made it richer than actually seeing them. Sometimes that's possible, eh? Maybe I'll watch the video now...

Anonymous said...

Wowowowowowo. Not what I expected.

This is one of those songs on piano that you just use the black keys, it's a great sound.

Very inspiring stuff.

TheBlueMask said...

Big budgets kill creativity!! I much prefer when musicians made their own "promo clips" before MTV. I think that MJ's "Thriller" was the beginning of the end. The promo clip was an extension of the atrist's ideas, not so much anymore. This is a revival. I saw a segment on these guys on CBC a few weeks back. I couldn't help but think that if only you tree planters had a four track with you at times, I'm sure it would be on par. They just thought to record it!

Lorne Roberts said...

yeah, good call.

i agree, it is inspiring.

cara said...

nice!

i like the organic sounds, hybridity rules.