Saturday, February 18, 2006

Here I come


Ladder, originally uploaded by The Stranger.

The staple of my poetry is largely a description of the joys of battle, the struggle for mastery, and the perils of the long dark journeying through the waste. The noble horse and camel, the keen flashing sword in battle, the deadly lance and arrow, the swift sudden storms that sweep over mountain and plain, driving the goats and wild antelope in panic fear to their fastness, while the lightning flashes and thunder roars, and the rain torrents hurry down the stony watercourse. These are the themes of my song.

And prefaced to nearly everyone of my longer poemsis a wail of lament over the ashes of a long deserted encampment, once the home of a beloved maiden, a tearful note of human sorrow to attune the heart of softened melancholy.

Praise and prayer is often heard, and wild and terrible oaths are also not wanting.

I am above all things, self-centered, self-reliant, and confident that the cunning of my own strong right hand will conquer fate.

I will take the arrows of divination, but if the answer squares not with my desire I will hurl them back wrathfully and scornfully in the face of my idol.

My idol. The one to whom all my lesser gods pay their respect. The one to whom I pay the devotion of my soul:

The mysterious Goddess.

No comments: