Thursday, March 22, 2007

Cervantes....

over the course of a decade, i've read about 2/3 of Don Quixote. I really should finish it someday. Anyway, here are some wise quotes from Cervantes...

In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd.

Miguel de Cervantes

It is one thing to praise discipline, and another to submit to it.
Miguel de Cervantes

It seldom happens that any felicity comes so pure as not to be tempered and allayed by some mixture of sorrow.
Miguel de Cervantes

Laziness never arrived at the attainment of a good wish.
Miguel de Cervantes

Jests that give pains are no jests.
Miguel de Cervantes


4 comments:

Lorne Roberts said...

Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within.
Miguel de Cervantes


The knowledge of yourself will preserve you from vanity.
Miguel de Cervantes

D. Sky Onosson said...

2/3 eh? I can't say I've ever gotten through even half, and I think I've probably tried about 3 or 4 times since I was eleven years old. Still something I would like to do one day. As per the second quote, I can really praise the discipline required to get through it, but it's awfully hard to submit to it myself. And all my laziness was never brought on by any wish I made.

Anonymous said...

My too, I'm about at the half way pint on that book. epic.

Quixote is that universal character that always comes up in other forms. Success through blunder, a professional flukist. A delusional success story.

Lorne Roberts said...

totally. good call.

he also is that weird, brilliant person who, when it comes to one particular issue, has the blinders on, and believes what he wants, in spite of all evidence to the contrary.

now sancho panza... there's a guy i could have a brew or two with.