Saturday, February 03, 2007

Joe KRAHN! My BOY!

This review appeared in today's (Saturday) Winnipeg Free Press- it was done by FP music writer Rob Williams-- Pay special att'n to the last paragraph


CD REVIEW: DEBRA LYNN NEUFELD, BOOTLEG

WHEN Neufeld sings she's full of sugar and likes to stop traffic you have no choice but to believe her.

The sophomore effort from Winnipeg's reigning Queen of the Blues builds upon the foundation of her debut Lock Up Your Sons with stronger songwriting, a bigger sound and honest-to-a-fault lyrics.

Neufeld teams up with some of the city's finest players (The Perpetrators, Chris Carmichael, Ken (Spider) Sinnaeve and Ken McMahon) on 10 original tracks and a Big Dave McLean cover to grind out some gritty old-school Chicago blues that can be tough or tender depending on her mood. Sugar in Me is filled with a rumbling avalanche of drums, Love Junkie shuffles along like a drunk at a juke joint and Bone Appetite is steeped in garage rock.

Neufeld also proves herself one hell of a guitarist easily trading off lead licks with Jay Nowicki, Carmichael and Josey Krahn. Winnipeggers can join her every Tuesday when her band Ragdoll hosts a jam night at the Windsor Hotel.

-- RW

5 comments:

Lorne Roberts said...

dear josey: as you can see by the comments, no one cares about you or your stupid little accomplishments. please go back to anonymity. :)

Lorne Roberts said...

c-doctor-doggie tells me that i'm just whining b/c no one has commented on my post. hee hee... shut up and get back to work, he tells me.

TheBlueMask said...

I think it may have been your delivery wolf, " my boy!', pay special att`n" etc. It was a command for praise. Had you simply posted the review, I would have been more inclined to congratulate... Or I`m just nutz.
that `splains my lack of comment anyway.

Lorne Roberts said...

nope. not a "command" in the least. more of a "hey, my friend had some success and i'm very happy for him."

TheBlueMask said...

I`m just nutz. He should be selling the cd`s at the Label.