Saturday, May 05, 2007

Hospital Visit


A tonsilectomy for me. The first words gurgled out of my post operation mouth were "Good dream". Despite the body being incapacitated, not able to feel pain or breath, there was still a dream. I don't remember the subject of the dream or even falling unconscious for that matter, but when I woke up I was surprised to hear my torn voice. I said "Good dream", not realizing that the dream had happened during my tonsils being laser-beamed out of my throat. How could this be? While my physical body was being cut, my mind had the well being to make up an interesting and compelling scene for me to experience. Truely a wonderous thing. Next I slept for some time only being awoken by the occaisional flutter of some pretty Korean-nurse-fairy bringing me some sort of liguid. Like a nectar perhaps. The taste of blood and spoiled cabbage made me want the ice cream I'd heard so much about. But in my painkiller-drunk state, with the language already being an issue, I never got closer than cold rice gelly. Incidentally Korean hospital food is far better than that of the West. I got to see and smell all sorts of fresh (and prepared) vegetable (including hot-peppers), fish, grilled meats and savory sauces. Occaisionally I even touched them to my mouth to get a taste, but could never hope to swallow any of it. Back to the cold rice gelly.

17 comments:

D.Macri said...

I just made the connection. She is kind of a bee I think.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, finally, I get some ice cream!

Lorne Roberts said...

heh. that's right. eat yr cold rice jelly, artist.

Anonymous said...

Actually this is kind of scary. Tonsilectomies are apparently a little dangerous cause there can be bleeding after the operation. So here I am going to sleep whith blood in my throat not knowing who or how to contact someone if things get bad. And now that the painkillers are wearing off, it hurts too. Work should be interesting tomorrow seeing as I can't speak. What will happen next?

cara said...

macro, I hope you start feeling better soon. keep us posted on how you are doing.

Lorne Roberts said...

eep. get better. eat more rice jelly. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your concern. Was feeling a bit isolated last night, I'll make sure I have proper contact #'s and stuff tonight. Off to work now (trying to teach english without a voice) I'll let you know how that goes.

cara said...

:)

isn't 80% of communication gestures anyways? hmmm...that's gotta be in a sky post somewhere around here.

D. Sky Onosson said...

No comment on the gestures (I've said enough already and I'm getting sick of myself...;)

But, I agree about the Korean hospital food. When Annika gave birth to our daughter Shoki there, that was definitely one thing we noticed in a good way. Communication was definitely an issue though!

Anonymous said...

Wow, did I get that right, your daughter was born on Korea? Does that give her any special korean status, or no?

D. Sky Onosson said...

Yeah, she was born there. But, no, there is no special status. I had a lawyer in an adult English class I was teaching, and I asked him if she qualified for citizenship. He just looked at me funny and said, "no". You need to have at least one Korean parent to get that, or maybe marry someone.

Anonymous said...

I see. I figured it wouldn't work that way as the Koreans are mostly well, uhhh, Korean.

As for the day of teaching it went surprisingly well. It was really cute with the kindergarten class, they all whispered or murmured quietly, as though my not being able to talk, meant they should be more quiet. It makes sense to me =) They were sympathetic for the most part, and a few of them have had the same surgery.

On a not so happy note, my bike was trashed/vandalized, and that really sucks. Should I buy a new one or drag this one accross town in the hot sun with my sore dry throat to get a price check on repairs (that very well may cost the same as a new bike). Ok I'm rambling on about day to day stuff now, and this mundane shit is bound to infuriate someone (Anonyjamesmous) as it has nothing to do with art. Zen and the art of, nah. I got to go make some rie jelly =(

Anonymous said...

Godspeed on the healing side of things Macro. Hospital beds might be a great place to draw.

I like this drawing!

cara said...

Macro, mundane away, mundane away I say, if someone can't find the art in it then that is their issue.

Anonymous said...

In combination with some art, this is a great post. On its own, a little mundane. But mundane comments, that's what comments are all about. That's where the mundane belongs. So ramble on in the comments, talk, talk talk, about art, about farts, whatever.

Carry on.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for permission James =)

Anonymous said...

I don't know who wrote that.