Wednesday, May 09, 2007

In defense of the grammatically and orthographically challenged

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too

Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

7 comments:

cara said...

A very stern librarian sent me this a few months ago.

Can you read it?

Am I going to get in trouble 'cause it's not art?

Will Wolfboy ever use vowels again?

Lorne Roberts said...

i hvnt decided, but mybe.

Anonymous said...

Really cool. I can understand it perfectly well, but for some reason, wanted to correct it right away. I think we need another study to find out why.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is amazing! Isn't the human brain interesting.

Fcuk was it hot today.

Ted said...

I like this...or does it just inflate my ego because I understood it in less than a minute...

Macro...I didn't want to correct it...I just accepted it...but then...I am not a wordy words guy...I like to think space....and not to diminish your response...just saying.

D. Sky Onosson said...

Just so you know - there was never any study done at Cambridge in relation to this text (I've seen it before and it's been around for a while). Still interesting. People don't really read letter by letter, they scan whole words, at least once they're fluent readers they do.

Kown wtha mI sgniya?

Anonymous said...

I know what your're saying, but to refine it even further, you don't even need to be that fluent. I checked this idea out with some of my students today, and wholy-moly, even the "weaker" readers could figure out what I was writing. Fun too!

Spleinlg si slitl ipmotrant!