Saturday, November 10, 2007

The Dali Lama Sells Out


Actually the photographer is probably more to blame for this cheesy shot. Clearly the poor guy was on multiple deadlines and could only catch the Dali Lama (who I assume has recently been to Winnipeg) at the airport on his way out. Rather than an otherwise dull picture of a world-famous religious leader seated on an airplane at James Richardson "International" the photog brought some props.

I wonder if the Bombers will have a picture of the Dali Lama in the dressing room and a message in the coaches handwriting "Let's win one for Tibet!" Or, "We've got Buddha on our side." I also wonder how many times in the Dali Lama's illustrious life he has been asked to pose with paraphernalia from the local athletic club. I'd venture it's not his first. You gotta feel a bit bad for the guy, don't you? But love what he does to spread his message at the same time. He's a bit of a publicity whore, but he's got a damn good cause.

Anyway, what do you think? Hokey publicity shot of an international leader, or stroke of journalistic genius?

7 comments:

Lorne Roberts said...

huh. good question. let me go drink some beers, play some music, and then i'll get back to ya.

Anonymous said...

No, you got it all wrong. I guess you didn't hear, Mr.Lama is the new quarterback for the bombers =P.

("publicity whore" is a bit much, a touch offensive even).

Krahn said...

I don't think its offensive. I would'nt call him a 'whore' (and I think that the term 'publicity whore' is used here in the parlance of our times), but there is something about the dali lama that I don't trust. I don't know what it is. Maybe its his jet setting ways. As in how the heck does he get all this money. Any thoughts?

Anonymous said...

I bet a lot comes from donations. Sorry, I know the modern phrase/expression, "publicity ___", and that's why I said a "touch" (a little bit). I just find the Dali Lama, uh, cute. Like a grampa or something and imagine others like him even more than I do. Truth be told, my SalvadorDaliLama is probably more offensive =P
I thought it was weird, here in Korea the buddhist monks go around, all dressed in grey, asking for donations by hitting a wooden bell. I have given a few times. Then I went to a temple and there was this monk getting out of his Hyundai with a cell phone and it suddenly wasn't so convincing that they need my 'chun-won'.

Ryan K said...

Love the SalvidorDaliLama. I was just trying to be a bit provocative and have some fun with Dali Lama myself, no offense intended.

BTW me and D.Mitch went to the game today. It was amazing. Some fantastic plays, and it was a close score the whole way through. Some crazy winds sent all the temporary signage on the field whipping off in all directions including a huge chunk into the stands early in the game. It was noisy and exciting. We were in the perfect spot to see a key Bomber interception in the third quarter. Troy Westwood won the game for Winnipeg on the last play, and got some vindication. Worth every penny.

Thanks Dali Lama!

D.Macri said...

Cool

Lorne Roberts said...

horray big blue! GO BLUE! (i'm proposing an artist-based version of CFL football hooliganism-- Wpg artists vs. Toronto Argo fan artists. maybe minus the fighting, i dunno... Oy, then up yr kilt w/ a right james blunt!).

uh, as for the dhali lama-- i know that w/ mother theresa and others, that charge of "well, they just love the limelight" has been floated. and it's a valid question. i mean, who wouldn't love the fact that the WHOLE WORLD is waiting breathlessly for your assessment of G.W. Bush? and who wouldn't love meeting the world's most powerful people, and being called "holy"???

imo, the world needs people like him, though. in an era when we believe in nothing, he and mother theresa give us a certain set of... values?