Saturday, November 03, 2007

Toronto Breakfast Society

For one glorious morning, C-Dog and I got to participate in the illustrious and secretive Toronto Breakfast Society, whose members (currently 2) include some of the finest ex-pat Winnipeggers, people who know TO's breakfast culture better than the locals. (Watch for a breakfast blog coming soon...)

This particular meal, at the Skyline, in the Parkdale neighbourhood, received lukewarm reviews from all of us (2 or 2.5 stars out of a possible 5). The company and conversation, however, scored significantly higher.

Photo by David Michon.


*****
from "Mitzi's" by Luke Doucet--

It's a strangely quiet Parkdale morning,
maybe everybody else is dead
I'm so glad they're still serving up at Mitzi's
just a stone's throw away from my bed...


Who are you to pull me from this slumber
with your beautiful lips
and your insatiable thunder?
i don't know...

5 comments:

Denis said...

For some reason or another, I always end up at The Stem when I'm in T.O..

Anonymous said...

For some reason whenever I heard this song by Doucet I thought of that place next to the Windsor that serves the chicken fingers?

cara said...

That is a great picture. It would be great cover art for a novel.

renamaphone said...

We went to Mitzi's for yesterday's installment. Great food, but the ridiculous wait sorta levels the playing field with other places.

I always used to think of that same place too James. The parkdale reference and all sort of mixes it up a bit, and yet if you've ever been to parkdale you'd see that it is about as winnipeg as toronto could be.

The blog already exists, but for the time being it's photos only. We're too busy at the moment for more, just like all the rest of us torontonians :)

Druni said...

Yeah, I was part of this toronto breakfast club yesterday. It was delicious, but yes, the wait. hohum.