Saturday, November 10, 2007

Ty-GuAR


jaguar, originally uploaded by babajiwotan.

Hello freindly people, I was baptized a Unitarian.

Unitarianism is the belief in the single personality of God, in contrast to the doctrine of the Trinity (three persons in one God). It is the philosophy upon which the modern Unitarian movement was based, and, according to its proponents, is the original form of Christianity. Unitarian Christians believe in the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth, as found in the New Testament and other early Christian writings, and hold him up as an exemplar. Adhering to strict monotheism, they maintain that Jesus was a great man and a prophet of God, perhaps even a supernatural being, but not God himself. Unitarians believe in the moral authority, but not necessarily the divinity, of Jesus. They do not pray to Jesus, but to God directly. Their theology is thus distinguishable from the theology of Catholic, Orthodox, mainline Protestant, and other Christian denominations, who hold the Trinity doctrine as a core belief.

Unitarians sum up their faith as "the religion of Jesus, not a religion about Jesus." Historically, they have encouraged non-dogmatic views of God, Jesus, the world and purpose of life as revealed through reason, scholarship, science, philosophy, scripture and other prophets and religions. They believe that reason and belief are complementary and that religion and science can co-exist and guide them in their understanding of nature and God. They also do not enforce belief in creeds or dogmatic formulas. Although there is flexibility in the nuances of belief or basic truths for the individual Unitarian Christian, general principles of faith have been recognized as a way to bind the group in some commonality. Adherents generally accept religious pluralism and find value in all teachings, but remain committed to their core belief in Christ's teachings. Liberal Unitarians value a secular society in which government stays out of religious affairs.

Ive been having vivid dreams. here's one I had the other night:

I was in a harbour and in a small boat in the water with some people. The boats in the harbour were enormous long sleek sort of viking ships intricately carved and painted mostly red and black almost like giant haida canoes.. I couldnt't see anyone in the boats or how they were propelled because they had no sails. I was talking to my friends my small boat when suddenly I looked and the prows of two of these giant ships crossed right in front of my little dinghy I can remember this very vividly as if it were a real memory. The swell caused me to fall into the water and I was swimming but I had my big steel toe rubber boots on that Im wearing at this job so it was hard to swim. Just then my friend Don Maximo who was still in the dinghy informed me that I had been chosen as part of this crew for some sort of race and he tossed me these two peices of oddly carved wood. Sort of like banister poles. I think they were carved like lions but I can't remember. So I crawled out of the water onto the shore and I can remember I dropped one of the wooden things and had to go back to get it. Looking on the ground I noticed some excellent amethyst specimens like little marbles so I picked them up. I hopped into a big sort of space-van very spacious inside like a limo almost and was driven to town by my freind KV's dad. In town I needed to buy some supplies for the race so I was walking around downtown when I happened on a shop display and stopped to look at it. It was a display promoting the life and work of the actor James Caan who I had watched in a spagghetti western the night before. I can remember there were pictures of James Caan's hairstyles over the decades. I chuckled to myself and remembered thinking in the dream; wow, what a coincidence, I just watched a James Caan movie last night!

that's about all I can remember.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dreams are amazing, I really like it when I have them, they're so vivid and informative, right to the point I feel. So I wonder what this means?

Lorne Roberts said...

heh. no doubt.

my dreams last night: a large group of us were in pursuit of some evil-doers, in order to put them to death. i was VERY opposed to the death penalty idea, and was tagging along in hopes of mitigating the situation.

then... i was treeplanting/ at bible college, and it was late, and i had a ton of stuff to do (like get a passport) and nothing was getting done, but i was revelling in being able to relive my past and in the sense of community i felt.

p.s. what, if anything, is the connection b/t the unitarianism and your dreams? were you really baptized?

Robin Edgar said...

Your information about "Unitarians" seems to be at least a cebntury out of date. . . Many if not most "Unitarians" are atheists or agnostics these days. Other Unitarian*Universalists aka U*Us do not follow Christian teachings. I would say that only a small minority of U*Us fit the out-dated, and now highly misleading, description of "Unitarians" that you have provided here.

Lorne Roberts said...

hee hee.

there you go.

rebuttal, anyone? i wish i knew more about this so i could wade in, but i don't, though my feeling when i read smktgr's post was "aren't U's mostly agnostic these days?".

Anonymous said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarianism

Ryan K said...

Like Robin above I originally disapproved of Goldenstar's definition. I myself am a Unitarian by birth (although I believe I was "named" not "baptised")and consider myself one in life now (if not in practice). However I refrained from criticism because at it's heart the definition is very good and essentially true in many ways, if a bit misleading. Christ's teachings are an essential component, but primarily because they are humanistic and in that sense universal.

It is true that a modern Unitarian need not believe in a single monotheistic god, but I think goldenstar's nod to the pluralism of Unitarianism speaks to that. No one ever told me to believe in God, but what I learned was to seek the answer everywhere and to celebrate the wonder that is life, the universe and the unknown.

In my mom's church there are often people from different religions present: Hindi, Buddhist, Jewish, Wiccan, it doesn't much matter as long as you want to explore the mystical side of life and consider every single living person (regardless of race, creed, colour or sexual orientation) equally.

Robin Edgar said...

What might your mother`s U*U church make of this then?

It seems that all U*Us are equal but some U*Us are more "equal" than others. . .