Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thoughts on Nothing

I grew into nothing, that's all that was waiting for me. I grew, and changed, and wondered who that other person used to be, when I thought about it at all, which wasn't often. Truth be told, I never thought about it, but I thought you might like the story better that way.

And then later I grew up, and looked around. I had grown out of nothing and into nothing. Had I become nothing? I'm not even sure what that would mean. Nothing is just an abstraction, an absence, a no-thing. Was I looking at it all wrong, the whole time? Missing the burnt-down forest for the clear-cut trees?

Cynical? Well, I've earned it. But don't worry, kid. You will too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Nothing" is hard to understand.

Quitmoanez said...

Good stuff.

Lorne Roberts said...

totally. and that last line is great. the "kid" reference really adds to the cynical, world-weary kind of tone.

D. Sky Onosson said...

I actually thought of it a little bit self-referentially - like the future speaking to the younger self.

Lorne Roberts said...

ha! even better, really.

"chaos is the score upon which reality is written."-- henry miller