Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Interior, night

(Nov 5, drinking a beer and waiting for K to get off work...)

it's not enough to
think about, or
remember, to remind me
of the time we had
sex on the couch
at your work or that
you're turned on by
my brain it's not
enough or too much that
i'm drinking a comped draft
beer or that we've
learned the basics of
each other's habits,
routines, or that the
end of the world is coming and
we're still not running out of things
to teach each other and
no one (least of all me)
wants to learn about sacrifice,
duty, devotion, outdated
concepts from a bygone age and
i certainly don't want to
(or won't) tell you that
i wrote things in front
of the Bloor Theatre about
how the sunlight reminded
me of your skin and how
every painkiller morning
was like the charcoal around
yr eyes-- no, too cliched,
i won't even start on
that... so it's 1246 am, a different day,
i'm stumbling half-drunk down
Broadway, wet fall-night
grass b/c i'd rather
drink with people i barely
know and only half-like since i
don't care i
don't care i
don't care i
wrote this all to tell you that, exactly,
and to tell you that
nothing inside me
feels funny
when you smile or wants to
wake up beside you i'm
wasting too much
paper on this and
too much energy i
don't have enough left to
give you so i won't even bother--

i'll just smile back as you float gracefully by,
say:

thanks for the beer, baby,

seriously,
you're a doll.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yet another gem, but is the pain worth it?

Lorne Roberts said...

heh. yep, it's worth it. it makes it easy to write.

:)

D.Macri said...

I deleted a mean-anonymous comment. Wolfboy, if you want to know what it said let me know, but it wasn't helpful. =/

In the future I hope the anonymous person can find a better way to comment (using your name, or saying why you don't like something would be a start).

XP said...

This is f'n gold Wolfy. I won't say more because there's no need. I read it like 3 times over because I enjoyed it so much. It's a great feeling when it clicks like that. Again, pure gold!

cara said...

I like the changes of pace in this poem. it's great stuff.

let's add it to the chapbook.

Anonymous said...

No one in this blog should feel the need to make an anonymous comment, seriously, our self image will not be shattered by a phrase that does not favor us. You are brave to post these poems and they are correspondigly wonderfull. Alot of mine are lost in my mother's basement.

Anonymous said...

This is also open to the public, so it wasn't for sure a person from this blog who commented as anon.

Anonymous said...

fire in a night sky; you nailed it.

Lorne Roberts said...

heh. hoo boy. don't check the blog for a few hours and things get exciting again.

thanks macro, for protecting my fragile ego.

and thanks, all, for the great commments.

perhaps the mean anon comment was from... her? :)

J C said...

I'm not sure if deletion is always necessary. the dark comments need to exist sometimes, if only to show how criticism can exist in this little rainbow world we call ALfA. I say keep it dirty, and keep your sanatizations to a minimum.