Thursday, August 31, 2006

Crash Course

Like Wolfboy I too have a hankering to get back to art. Although I am passionate about issues, imagery and emotional response remain part of what I'd like to do. As far as writing poetry goes I'm pretty far out of practice, so I borrowed some ideas from my earlier, experimental years to complete this verse. I used to be fascinated by cave paintings as a student of Art History. How a primitive people could paint such arresting images that seem to be in fluid motion was a potent mystery. The paintings prove our innate need for art, the urge to represent what we see, to let a creative spirit move through us. Anyway, I doubt this poem captures all that, but I guess what is trying to get at is how we are moved to create by what is beautiful, strange and seemingly devine.

I.
The wind has started to blow
autumn blustery
we are on a crash course

I don’t know what changed
but suddenly it is there
in your eyes

Before this hot, hot summer
I’d never noticed
now it’s all I see

Like a Dali painting
with a double image
beautiful and strange

There is an urgency
to my longing
I never felt possible

II.

Deep, dark caverns
of my imagination
are lit with you

Caves of Lascaux
primitive, arresting
ever in motion

I am the bull
charging with purpose
above a galloping herd

You are there below
A roan mare
wanting to be captured

This is the timeless pursuit
of an utterly intrinsic need
calling from beyond

2 comments:

Lorne Roberts said...

funny. i've had this exact same image sitting on my desktop for a few weeks, waiting to be posted on the blog.

i love cave art. it raises an endless series of questions and speculation.

D.Macri said...

Hey, this might be something we all have in common! I love cave art too! I was thinking of doing "modern cave art". It would be in a similar style with natural pigments, but be images like ipods and garlic presses, you know important stuff like that for generations to come.