Tuesday, August 22, 2006

thoughts on art/artists

This is from the Robert Genn twice-weekly newsletter. (www.painterskeys.com)


When I was a kid my folks took me on a road trip. As we approached the town of Hope, B.C., we saw, crawling up the shoulder of a steep hill, an ancient Model T Ford. A skinny, mustachioed man wearing a fedora was sitting up tall behind the wheel. Below him, a sign on the side of the old car read"Toronto or Bust." Toronto was 5500 miles away. As we flew by in our '47 Chev Fleetline I distinctly remember my dad turning to me, winking, and saying, "No hope." My mom laughed.

Dad turned out to be wrong. Two months later we read about the guy in the newspaper. He had driven from Vancouver, B.C., toToronto, Ontario in a 1914 Ford. And then--he drove back!
I've often thought about that fleeting image and the guy behind the wheel. Perhaps it was the seed that became my lifelong love of vintage cars. But it was the look of expectation that was on his face—-it was a look of hope. He was unconventional. He knew not where he would spend the night. He was traveling according to his own code. And he feared not.

We artists are like that guy. We stick our necks out with old fashioned technology and try to make a journey out of it. This journey takes us goodness knows where. But that's the point. Every day we crank up the old machine and head out once more along the shoulder of life. Many of us do not make it toToronto, New York, London, Paris or even Oz. Who is there among us who fully understands where we get our vision or to what end it goes? Who understands fully how what we do can be both agreeable and disagreeable? To folks like us, the main thing is that we are on the road. And what a road

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have neither guru nor initiation
i have no discipline and no duty to perform
understand that Im the formless sky
Im the self existent purity

Anonymous said...

You are guru and initiation
You have discipline and perform dutifully
Understand that you are the form
You are pure relational extant

J C said...

I like Robert Genn's newsletters. This one is one of those testimonials to the profession of artist, glorifying it's archaic-ness.

I like how he tries to inspire artists, art reinforcement in yet another form. And the point is the journey.

me likes.

whether it needs to go upp on this blog...well...that I don't know. I guess we could all use the 'whip cracking'.

get to work. get back to the journey.

Anonymous said...

Why shouldn't it be on this blog?

Are we back onto this copyright fiasco?

It's all good, image and word.

It is clear where this originates, the guy's sends the email all over the world.

I get the feeling he wouldn't mind being celebrated, especially if he partakes in the bounty of ArtReinforcement.

So what gives there Culleton?

Why challenge this?

Anonymous said...

Maybe James is just worried we're gonna get them every month. =P

J C said...

I didn't mean to challenge. just an open mouthed wondering. (and no, this ain't about copyright)

I already receive the emails from Mr.Genn. And sometimes they can really be a nice art pick me up.

I really like when the posts on ALfA here are created and are one of a kind, never been posted stuff. and if they do refer to someone else's creation, then maybe there are some comments with a link, rather than a re-post.

don't get me wrong, sometimes it's merited. like I said, his stuff is often a nice testimonial from an artist who has been working a long time.

Don't be so sensitive Carlos, or I'll have to fly over to Toronto and slap you around a bit.