Monday, September 10, 2007

Bulguksa Temple


Kyongju (now romanised as Gyeongju, in the southeast part of modern-day South Korea) became the centre of the Silla Kingdom in the mid-7th century. Bulguksa Temple (literally "Temple of the Buddha Land") was constructed between 751-774 ad. The little tower seen on Korean coins is located at Bulguksa.  You know which one I mean, Dave.  Have you been to Bulguksa?  Sokkuram is pretty nice, as well.  Your Ulsan Temple pic reminded me of this a lot, I guess the style is pretty similar as they are so close.  This picture was taken back in 2001... I'm missing Korea a lot!

6 comments:

cara said...

gorgeous, so are these rafters?

D. Sky Onosson said...

Essentially, yes. Temples like this are pretty hard to compare to other buildings!

Anonymous said...

Funny you say you are missing Korea, as right now I am missing Canada, A LOT!

D. Sky Onosson said...

The grass is always greener, eh?

Maybe we should swap positions? Do you want to be an underemployed starving musician/grad student? It's got quite the attractive lifestyle, let me tell ya!

D. Sky Onosson said...

You know, now that I reread my transliteration of the Korean name "Bulguksa", I realize that the "Bulguksa Temple" is completely redundant. "Bul-" is "buddha", "-guk-" is "country" (as in "Han-guk" for Korea, or "Han-country"), and "-sa" is "temple". So, saying "Bulguksa Temple" is like saying "Buddha Country Temple Temple".

I hate when people do things like that! And I did that! Argh! (I feel like Charlie Brown)

Lorne Roberts said...

heh. great pic.

those are some seriously patient artists.