Thursday, September 04, 2008

Numbers, stuff, things


Here I am, thinking about things.

It's 6 pm. This is a rant, after half of one extra large bottle of Ephemere beer.

I miss Winnipeg. Not the city, so much (though a little), but the people.

My friend just re-arrived there after 10 months in Africa, London, and Germany. Her comment: "There's something about people from Winnipeg that you just don't really find in other places. They're genuine, humble, and unpretentious."

I worry that perhaps I drink too much beer these days-- an average of 3 a day. Some days I drink none, and once a week or ten days or so, I drink five. Never more than five.

I would like to have children.

I am almost finished the book I have been writing, in one form or another, for somewhere between 6 and 8 years. 8 YEARS! How is that possible? I don't know.

Based on present trends, this year will be the slowest ever on the blog, by quite a bit. And yet I don't feel like it's suffering, dying, or otherwise neglected. In fact, I feel like it's still exceptionally active. (I just read over every post in January 2008, including comments. It took me almost an hour.)

I think I'm going to volunteer for Gilles Duceppe's campaign, the Bloc Quebecois leader, in the upcoming election. I think they need an anglophone, if, for no other reason, than to field the angry calls from cowboys in Alberta.

I wish we didn't have to get old, or die, though I suppose there's a certain beauty even in that. And just typing that brings tears to my eyes. I think of Alan fifty times a day right now. I wish I could see him again, just once, and tell him how awesome and kind and good he was/is.

And on that note, all of you are fabulous, and can consider this a hug via the impersonal internet.

(p.s. photo credit, CaraZ, January, 2008)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh MoLo.

Punch it in.

Anonymous said...

Ephemere is the best thing to happen to Quebec since the French language. I just finished one myself.

I'm so sorry about your friend. I can't say I know how you feel but I can definitely relate and I know that the experience of losing a friend is beyond words.

Lets share an Ephemere soon.

TheBlueMask said...

This rant would look good scrawled down the left hand side of your photo here.

Lorne Roberts said...

huh. good idea. maybe i'll try to dust off my photoshop skills.

and thanks A. yes, let's share an Ephemere soon. JW is in if she ever has a free minute, she says.

D.Macri said...

(hugs back)

Druni said...

I'll share an Ephémère with the both of you in, say, a month.
hugs back.
i heart winnipeggeronies