Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Rememberance Day Poem

Nothing but me
and my legs,
my bicycle
and this road.

Winter’s first freedom ride
on the day we remember
the soldier’s sacrifice
during and after the Great Wars.

Tearing through
North Winnipeg neighborhoods
warm wet wind behind
icy streets under my tyres.

This is what they fought for
the simple pleasures
the opportunity to be yourself
unencumbered.

Moisture is running freely
out my nose
I am the rider
and the horse.

Touring this old Kildonan borough
where many veterans came from
their presence is palpable
my Grandpa is one.

Lungs are burning
as I turn into wind
sensitive to my physicality
and the spirit world that surrounds it.

Long ago men died on beaches
and in trenches
slaughtered mercilessly
with munitions, machine guns and poison gas.

Charging through the slush
feeling the back of the bike
swoop out dangerously
before returning to my control.

I own what I do of my destiny
because of what others have sacrificed
what can I leave
for future generations to honour?

4 comments:

Quitmoanez said...

Leave your thanks and your love of life.

Quitmoanez said...

Great poem too.

cara said...

I like the question.

greg oakes said...

well done; thanks for sharing.