Sunday, April 20, 2008

there is a man

There is a man
with a knife
(this much I know)

He is always there,
hiding
watching
waiting

He only comes out at night
to drink from the pools
of the young
and nubile waters

So I'm just wondering
Why?

Is it because
the body
matures faster
than the mind
(and college girls are no exception)

or is it because your brain
short-circuited
long before
you were able to speak
(an inherent difficulty in possessing such a complex organ)

or is this just your game
of watching
waiting
and hiding

Whatever the reason

there is a man with a knife
and he's looking
right
through
me

(this much I know)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wowzers, good stuff.

Lorne Roberts said...

hell yeah. very nice. creepy. fragile.

now... this could be (and is, i imagine) about ANY situation of predetory behaviour all through history...

...but if this is specifically about the McGill guy, I read in Metro that that's a hoax--that one woman was stabbed in a fight and wasn't connected to the school, and that another woman, three weeks later, tried to commit suicide by stabbing herself.

Not that it matters, really, at all, because the principle applies regardless.

Seriously good stuff.

cara said...

intense.

the stanza about mind and maturity really resonates with me...i've thought about this very often in the last few months.

good stuff Anita!

Anonymous said...

mcgill thing..., yes i guess it was a hoax. Maybe. It reminded me of last summer, when my sister and I were strolling down the beach in Peru and some guy pulled out a big knife and said a bunch of stuff to us in Spanish that I only half understood but I could tell he wanted my bag that contained all my money, credit cards, and passport (im such a idiot). But he probably didn't want to stab anyone, probably had a few hungry kids at home or something. It was still scary though.