Thursday, January 01, 2009

Winnipeg

i'm leaving in the morning
and i thought i should admit
finally,
that it was never your fault

this came to me,
last night
as I walked the ice roads home
from maryland
and that bartender who looked into my eyes
and repeated every word I said
like poetry
Spadina
Spadina
Spadina
which is where I live now
in chinatown:
deranged and ramshakle
unkempt and snake charmed

it reminds me of you.

and that certain way you look sideways at me
during the long, dark rides home
or the way your street sounds when
no one has walked on the pavement for days

and how I now mistake the recognition
in your eyes for madness because
it's been a while since i've been recognized
by you
or anyone else for that matter.

walking the ice roads
last night
I looked up and saw you
bright and twinkling
dressed in snow
smiling at me.

and I realize now, how unfair I've been.

7 comments:

Quitmoanez said...

Unfair?

I like it.

cara said...

unfairly judged the fair city.

Lorne Roberts said...

ah, the city.

good.

ok.

i was worried that maybe it was about a person too.

we have all judged wpg harshly at times, and for some good reasons.

but it's also a great place, too.

sometimes.

:)

Lorne Roberts said...

and yep... it's been a while since i've been recognized by someone too.

i like this poem.

Anonymous said...

yep, wicked poem. It has a ballad-ness to it, when you bring us right back at the end there, kind've epic really.

word verif: shigaba !

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.
I'm so sorry I missed you on the break.
Snow check?
XO,
Wendy

cara said...

sure thing
Wendy!