Sunday, March 19, 2006

"beauty, let me praise thee" by georg grosz


a brilliant young historian named josephus krahn recently wrote a controversial paper stating that the 'great war' and social conditions in germany on partly formed his bleak world view, and that in fact our man georg was a bit of misanthrope long before the horrors of the war.

according to this josephus krahn fellow, old georg found an outlet in the war and its subsequent social problems in 1920's-30's germany to express the contempt he already felt for his fellow man (and woman).

i personally like the work of the other german expressionists better, esp kathe kollwitz-- they had more of a social and political agenda than grosz, who just seemed to dwell on the bleakness of things rather than proposing solutions, etc.

6 comments:

J C said...

this picture reminds me of the hundreds of times I sat on the label throne...

especially after the wannabees breakfasts, yikes!

my favorite german expressionist is Max Beckman, he was one of those painters that was introduced to me when someone told me my work looked like his, and so I looked him up and wowsers, I couldn't get enough of him. he would do these multi figured compositions, steeped in satire. Twisted and in pain, these figures really show the pain germany's artists were going through.

I just caught a show in Montreal on Anselm Kiefer, a german who did these giant canvases covered in paint,clay,mud,wire. epic pieces, and just dripping with suffering and pain.

Intense. Gotta love the Germans.

TheBlueMask said...

Otto Dix was another,although he may have been Dutch.

D.Macri said...

Thay's the dude. I do like Otto Dix better, but he is pretty f'n disturbing.

D.Macri said...

In regards to James comment, I think if the label ever wants to really brainwash itelf with some image, the bathroom door might be the ideal place to put it.

CaptainGoldStar said...

Hey is it just me or is there a Giant face of Andrew Courtnage sort of stuck on this Alfa Blog page? Am I freaking out or do you guys see that too? Seriously if it's there I didn't put it there.

Anonymous said...

The fairies have taken to putting different pictures there as celebrations.