Thursday, March 16, 2006

last in the series?



this is townes van zandt. if you don't know him or his music, check him out. sorry, i tried to find a link to an audio clip but couldn't.

brilliant songwriter and (by his own admission) terrible singer.

the cowboy junkies take their name from his song "cowboy junkie lament".

lyle lovett (who's so cool he married one of the hottest women on earth other than jenni, even though he himself is, shall we say, somewhat less than handsome) did a double album in the mid 90's covering a whole bunch of twangy stars, but mostly our man townes.

townes was very very sad, and he never did get happy in his rather short life. but he wrote songs that are so beautiful they can make ya cry. (his most famous song, covered about a zillion time, is "if i needed you"-- you know... if i needed you/ would you come to me?/ would you come to me and ease my pain etc etc)

this is from "highway kind"

"time among the pine trees
felt like breath of air
usually i just walk these streets
and tell myself to care

i don't know too much for truth
but my heart knows how to pound
my legs know how to love someone
my voice knows how to sound..."

or... "flyin' shoes"

"days full of rain
sky pouring down again
i get so tired
of these
same old blues

same old song
but baby it won't be long
'fore i'll be tying on
my flyin' shoes

flyin' shoes
flyin' shoes

i'll be tying on
my flyin' shoes..."

1 comment:

J C said...

wow, this guy looks like dan frechette.

there's a couple of his songs that we jam to at a bluegrass/old time country jam here in montreal. he's quite the song writer...