Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Que Why, it might be a golden eagle...



From Wikipedia:

Adult Golden Eagles range considerably in size. The largest subspecies are among the largest eagles of the genus Aquila. Most subspecies of Golden Eagle vary in the range from 25 to 2000 cm (26–40 in), wingspan can range from 150 to 240 cm (59–95 in), and weight is from 2.5 to 7 kg (5.5–15.5 lb). However, wild specimens of the largest subspecies in North America have been observed to be somewhat larger than that description, as the largest recorded weighed 9kg (20 lbs) and had a body length of 102 cm (40.1 in). As with many Falconiformes, females are considerably larger than males, in the case of the Golden Eagle they weigh one-fourth to one-third again as much as male birds.

The plumage colours range from black-brown to dark brown, with a striking golden-buff crown and nape, which give the bird its name. The upper wings also have an irregular lighter area. Immature birds resemble adults, but have a duller more mottled appearance. Also they have a white-banded tail and a white patch at the carpal joint, that gradually disappear with every moult until full adult plumage is reached in the fifth year.

....

The in-flight image doesn't match the coloration in your photos very well, but the head shot definitely looks like your bird.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the info! i had a feeling you might know something about this...

D. Sky Onosson said...

I honestly don't know much, but enough to be fairly certain in recognizing overall shapes - and the head and outline of the bird in your picture were so "eagle"! Hawks are kind of stumpier looking, with much less broad wingspans.

D.Macri said...

I saw about 8 bald eagles today (one of which flew about 10 ft over my head) while salmon fishing at the Lakelse river canyon! Thought of this post.

D. Sky Onosson said...

Once, we were on tour in B.C. and were driving on one of those crazy highways at the edge of a cliff, somewhere around Golden or Revelstoke I think... As I came around a corner, there was an eagle gliding along over the valley, about 10-15 feet out and directly across from me, going in my direction. Probably only lasted 10 seconds at most, but it was pretty cool!

Anonymous said...

dave that makes 3 AlfAists having raptor contact this week!

D.Macri said...

You me and who?

D.Macri said...

(ahh, bluemask, comment below. I also am cameraless at the moment. rats)

Druni said...

I saw so many eagles this fall. I was moose hunting up at the family's fishing lodge and they were everywhere. I've been going there 20 years now and never saw so many. It was good to see. I saw a really old one too. Old eagles are cool. I love your pics que why.