Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Satellite Radio

It was summertime

It was just like last year
looking out from the window of a truck
on the wheat fields
and farmhouses
playing my favorite game
of wondering
who might live there

Manitoba 2007
came home once I saw the blue skies

except I wasn't in Manitoba
and it wasn't 2007
I was on the highway out of Toronto
I was on my way to Niagra Falls

My father never liked my train of thought
he said I was too impulsive
or too irresponsible
or too lazy
or too preoccupied with silly dreams

I guess it takes an enemy
to bring you closer to center
I suppose that's what it was

But the satellite radio was just too good
that day
for me to waste my time worrying about consequences

I ordered the most expensive whiskey on the menu
and made lewd jokes that tested the limits of
the new friendships that i had made

it just heightened the mood anyway

but that's not what my father would have said

9 comments:

TheBlueMask said...

This would be great if it wasn't 2007

Anonymous said...

Dad's are often right.

Anonymous said...

Dad's are ALWAYS right.

D. Sky Onosson said...

Makes me wonder how my kids will think of me in 20 years...

D. Sky Onosson said...

P.S. Dads are never right!

Anonymous said...

Of course not, they just think they are....although you're a dad, and if you say dads are never right, maybe you're right. But if I say it then I must be. Okay, wait a minute...

Lorne Roberts said...

wow. fabulous, a. love it. vivid images and emotions.

cara said...

this travels, shifts and moves me.
i like the liminal spaces it describes.
and the tightly woven complexity.
awesome

Anonymous said...

I love my Dad, but I know he's not right all the time. But I'm not right all the time either

My Dad is so different from me that I have learned to incorporate his advice into my own values. It acts as a buffer, brings me closer to center.

He was cool when i was little, he's a physicist so he used to show me the moons around Jupiter with a telescope. Very vivid memory.

I'd like to see that again, anyone in Montreal have access to a telescope?