Friday, October 24, 2008

Wayne Walker



WAYNE WALKER January 7, 1942 – October 19, 2008 It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Wayne Walker on Sunday, October 19, 2008 at the age of 66 years. Remaining to forever cherish Wayne’s memory are his wife Elaine of 43 years of marriage; daughter Melody and son-in-law Brad; son Christopher McKellar; two wonderful grandsons Kyle and Kristopher; mother Nellie Yosyk; sisters Brenda and June; as well as cousins, relatives and many, many friends. He was predeceased by his brother Peter Yosyk in 2007. Wayne Walker made his mark in 1954 as “Mr. Rock N’ Roll” and hadn’t stopped since. Starting out playing school dances and teen hops, Wayne survived all the musical trends over the years from the 60’s British Invasion, 70’s Disco craze, New Wave 80’s, Hip Hop 90’s and the New Millennium. 1963 was the year when the Wayne Walker band started playing hotels and clubs. This eventually opened the door for other local bands, as hotels were introduced to LIVE music in their rooms, which soon became the demands of the patrons. Through the sixties and seventies, Wayne worked at many Rock N’ Roll revival tours. Playing with the likes of Buddy Knox, Ronnie Hawkins and Johnny Rovers, not only establishing Wayne’s credibility on an international level, it created a friendship among Rock N’ Roll pioneers. When Wayne Walker hit the stage, it became ALIVE with those good old 50’s and 60’s sounds. In June 1987 while performing “Shakin All Over” (A Manitoba musicians reunion of the past 30 years), it was very evident that Wayne was heavily respected by his peers as “Mr. Rock N’ Roll”. A celebration of Wayne’s life will be held on Thursday, October 30 at 8:00 p.m. at the Pony Corral, 1700 Pembina Highway. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Wayne’s memory to the charity of one’s choice. WOJCIK'S FUNERAL CHAPEL & CREMATORIUM 1020 MAIN STREET 586 - 8668

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to go see this guy every week when I was in my twenties. We'd sing together, it was a lot of fun.
I miss him already.

Quitmoanez said...

Sorry to hear about your friend.

cara said...

wow, sounds like a very accomplished musician.
sorry to hear about him passing away.

TheBlueMask said...

My uncle recentley had the "CJAY/CKY Teen Dance Party Reunion (1985) transferred to dvd. He does a song on there.

Anonymous said...

I remember Wayne from the days, no, years that he played at the Aberdeen Hotel in downtown Winnipeg. He would pack the house no matter what day of the week he was on and my friends and I made sure we were there early enough to get a table and we always stayed until the last song was played. Wayne played a big part in my appreciation of great rock and roll music and I will always remember his rendition of "Mustang Sally" which got the crowd up and dancing even though there was no dance floor.
Wayne recognized me and my friends because we followed him wherever he played. I recall one night at the Westminster Hotel I wore a bandana on my head and during that time wore an earring and from that night on he referred to our group as the "Westminster Gypsies". After that night he always acknowledged the fact that we were there. I will always think of him as one of our group.
Thank you Wayne for truly fond memories of my youth.

Lorne Roberts said...

nice story, thanks.

rip wayne.

and by the way, my grandmother addie worked as a waitress at the aberdeen for 25 years. prob'ly her and wayne would have known each other too.

cara said...

i love genealogy.

Anonymous said...

I can think back very fondly of the times my friends and I followed Wayne around the city just to be able to see him. Didn't matter where he was, we were always there to watch and enjoy. The venue was always packed to the rafters and usually had a huge line-up of people waiting for the opportunity to get in should somebody by chance leave early. The dance floor was always packed and the beer was madly flowing whenever Wayne was playing. Wayne was a vital part of my young "pubbing" years and was there to entertain much of Winnipeg's young population during the '60's and '70's, when I was lucky enough to enjoy his incredible talent. I will be looking for possible future cd or video releases. It would be awesome to be able to see Wayne once again in his prime and doing his thing.

Anonymous said...

i was curious.. how did he pass away?

vanshoeguy said...

I would love to get a copy of the ckay dvd.
my email is cbagencies@gmail.com.

Christopher
Waynes son

Unknown said...

Nice man and Entertainer "Mr. WAYNE WALKER"
MR. ROCK AND ROLL RIP