Tuesday, October 28, 2008

So you think

You walked in, spine straight,
because we're animals
and there's just something
that isn't quite right
between us

You criticised my dress
not thinking that I could
ever do such business

"Every time I speak to you
your resume is getting bigger,
congratulations"

"Who would guess
that I know
your dirty secrets"

"Professional, found
inebriated, working, being free"

It could shock the world,
or maybe your world

because you don't understand
what it means and
what it takes
and you think you know me

How else could it be that
every time we speak
I get just a little bit bigger

Nothing happens
that way

6 comments:

Lorne Roberts said...

no one understands
what it means and
what it takes and
no one knows any/one/thing


that's not a suggested revision, but just my two cents on it.


good piece, though. a little angry, but/and good.

Anonymous said...

It feels like I was there, or I am there, eating smoked salmon perhaps. Interesting...buzz buzz buzzz. Just a fly on the wall.

Inebriation nation!

Quitmoanez said...

It was written in anger.

cara said...

some poems are angry, nothing wrong with that...this let me in to a very private world.
very interesting.

Anonymous said...

I always read myself into the poem, which was easy to do here. Except of course, I never wear dresses (well hardly ever anyway). Good stuff.

Anonymous said...

its good to be angry sometimes, especially at someone who criticizes your dress and business. the nerve of some people!

now you've got ME angry! grrrrr...